Thursday, September 23, 2010

Whining and Weaning


Feels like yesterday that Elijah was born, and now he's fourteen months old! I remember wondering if I was EVER going to be done nursing. Some days I felt so trapped by the schedule and limitations nursing imposed. But I would not change a thing. What a blessing to be able to provide for your baby.

So over the course of the last few months, I've gradually taken out a nursing period, leaving us with just the morning feeding. A few days ago, I decided it was time. We will be gone for three nights in the middle of October, and we knew he needed to be weaned by then. I wanted to give him the chance to get used to not nursing with us here, before we left him.

The last three mornings have been PAINFUL. Physically, yes...a little. But emotionally, a ton. He's been so upset and fussy, and I've felt so sad.

Who knew? After fourteen months, I didn't expect to be so sad. But I feel so badly for him because I can't explain why I'm taking away the one thing he's known since birth. Mommyhood is hard. Transitions happen so quickly. If I'm this sad over weaning, how am I going to feel about college?!


But Praise be to God, who took me from a place of total darkness (depression) and enlightened my life to the fullest measure! I thought I would never make it through those first few months, and now I would do it a hundred times over. :)

3 comments:

  1. oh, i so remember the weaning process & all those emotions. saying a prayer now for both of you!!
    --sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for this transition. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I remember shedding some tears during this process too! I actually couldn't quite do it until I had to be gone overnight. I think a definition for "transitions" in the dictionary is "a growing experience that is often painful". Praying there is a new mom reading your post and feeling encouraged by your tender words.
    MaryBeth

    ReplyDelete